It is a computer program that replicates(multiplies) itself and destroys data, files, and programs of our computer system. Types of computer viruses
- Boot sector: Infects master boot record (MBR) of our computer system. (Booting refers to starting of computer system)
- File infector or program infector virus: Infect programs or executable files (.exe, .dmg, installer files)
- Multipartite virus: Infects both boot sector and application programs.
- Macro virus: Infects certain files created using macros such as MS Word, MS Excel, etc
- Stealth virus: This can hide from being detected. It's hard to detect
- Trojan horse: They do not replicate but are installed once then it starts malfunctioning.
- WORM: Write Once Read Many